Wednesday, September 18, 2019

HOW I SPENT AN HOUR AFTER GOING TO THE DENTIST TODAY IN MANHATTAN

Today, I went to look at art on West 24th Street in Manhattan


I resisted the temptation to add words to these photographs of the art.

I also resisted putting the artists name on any of the pictures of their art.

I am not sure of this absence as I am sure each of these artists wants to have words found for their art. 


On looking again at a version I had left out writing between these two pictures but now I have done so
I am surprised by the content of some of these pieces of art.


Have I revealed myself in the taking of these pictures




The pictures were of art that was in the galleries on West 24th Street between 10th and 11th Avenue in Manhattan.


The above picture is of something that might be called a sculpture.


This picture above contains a "living" human being who is taking a picture. This was an accident.


I was looking at these pictures after noon on the 18th of September 2019.

I had one verbal exchange with people in a gallery as a woman excused herself for talking about going to the dentist and I said I didn't hear what you were saying so you don't have to excuse yourself.  The woman explained that her father had been a dentist and she knew a great deal about dentistry--- all of which was in response, it seems, to a person who was behind the desk who it seems was complaining about going to the dental clinic at NYU where she had a procedure done by many students.  I said I was just at the dentists and he is very good. A third woman asked for his name and I wrote it out on a small piece of paper. I told the first woman that I had been going to dentists since I was a child and the name of the dentist I went to in Patchogue was Dr. Pierce, a terribly foreboding sort of name I only realized much much later after I had left Patchogue and heard that the doctor had lost a hand by sticking into a lawnmower trying to dislodge something or other.


I am not sure what to call this something or other...


it comes from an artist working in Alexandria, Egypt.  I do not think I can claim that he was inspired by the novels of Lawrence Durrell 

No comments: